We've had a busy weekend. Lisa and Miranda had their sophomore orientation Friday. Nothing like being surrounded by teenagers to remind you of how old you are :) It was fun watching all of them "posing" for each other, attempting to look cool etc. A few boys had the polo shirts with the collars turned up just like we did back in the 80's. I was quick to point this out to my two who have been making disparaging comments about the lack of style we had in the 80's. They were grossed out and swore to never do that with THEIR collars. I told them that at least shoulder pads didn't seem to be coming back although a lot of other things are. They thought I meant shoulder pads like for football lol. Too funny. We probably looked that way back then though. I know I was awful tough looking with my shoulder pads and shiny silver suit like jacket.
Anyhow, I got tired just watching all the enthusiasm exhibited by the student body officers. Were we all really that hyper back in the day? I like to think I was so very reserved at all times. They split everyone into groups and various student body officers took us on a tour of the school. Some of the new sophomores looked nervous, others excited and others looked like they were heading for dropping out already. Interesting how you can tell by looking at most of them what "group" they will fall into. The drop outs had parents that looked very much like they had been drop outs too. But who knows, there were there for the orientation so I could be wrong about their dedication.
Saturday all the marching band parents were able to meet the new director. You'd think the band had a plague with all the leadership jumping ship at the last minute. They lost their band director, drumline director and I believe the color guard director as well this summer. The new teacher seems very on top of things and I believe will do an awesome job.
We attended our new ward for the second time this Sunday only to find out that in two weeks they will be splitting the ward. I'm sure all the people I've met will end up being in a different ward from myself.
We, and when I say we I mostly mean me and Hector, are anxious for school to begin. I know everyone is so eager to learn new things and do homework and get up early again. They live for that sort of thing. If I was more proactive, I would make them do it all summer just so they could experience the joy year round.
10 years ago
5 comments:
I remember one of my nieces showing off her new flares to my mom. My mom said,"those are bellbottoms." My niece said,"Oh no grandma,these are flares!" My mom said,"You are wearing bellbottoms and your sister's capris are pedal pushers!" Ha ha.
Yay for the start of school again!
As I recall, you really were as reserved as you remember. The rest of us were freakishly out of control. Just thought I would calm your fears. Of course, we did sit on little "carts" and push each other around the gym.
Oh, and I am pretty sure your silver jacket was as cool as you remember. Just remove the shoulder pads, and you could wear it again.
I just freaked a little bit! Lisa and Miranda are Sophmores?!!! How in the you know what did that happen?!
Ok, I'm calmer now.
High schoolers are so much more spazzy than I'm sure we were.
I was just telling the jr high/middle school teachers that I hate the new dress code and I will be fighting it. The principal was a drama teacher at my high school. I was waaaaaaay more reserved in high school than I am as a parent.
I guess that's my proof that they are more spazzy?
you are all wrong!!!!! you guys are worse than we are!!!! At least we don't talk about the 80's styles and nothing else!
just wait til you are our age and then you will talk about the 80's style and nothing else. ;)
Post a Comment